The Library provides free tech training at a variety of times. Sessions last approximately 60-90 minutes, and are limited to four participants. Sign up at the Information Desk or by calling 847-455-6016, ext. 2. Have a suggestion for a new class? Let us know.
- Intro to Computers - Basic "how to" class covers powering up, logging in, opening programs, moving around, creating, saving and finding files and a review of the QWERTY keyboard and its functions
- Intro to Email - You will learn the basic elements and courtesies of email correspondence and then sign up for your own account. Bring email addresses of friends and family with you to class so you can send messages to them.
- Intro to Google - Explore Google Maps, Translate, create an account for 5G of "cloud storage" and then upload files to your own secure "drive".
- Intro to Word 2007 - Learn how to use this word processing software.
- Intro to Excel 2007 - Assumes basic knowledge of computers and math. Covers vocab, formatting, formulas/fucntions, examples in action. Students will register for a Universal Class account at the end.
- Intro to Kindle eReaders - Covers Kindle eReaders specifically. Learn how to navigate your eReader, organize contents, download eMediaLibrary content, manually add books to your eReader from a computer, and find other eBook resources.
- Intro to Tablets - Differences between tablet brands, touchscreen gestures, modify settings, wifi connectivity, app store downloads, and FPPLD Digital Library resources. Will provide assortment of tablets for students to try.
- Intro to Facebook - Find out how to use this popular social networking site to connect with your family and friends
- Intro to Twitter - Develop your social media skills by using this micro-blogging site
Learn at your own pace and anytime with Universal Class, which offers over 40 free courses about computers and software. Go to the Universal Class site, and create an account to get started. (Your Franklin Park library card number and PIN are needed to login from outside the library.) If you'd like a demo or assistance, ask at the Information Desk. Here's a sampling of courses:
- Computer Basics 101
- Internet Fundamentals 101
- Typing and Keyboarding 101
- Windows 7
Intermediate to Advanced
- Digital Photography 101
- Digital Scrapbooking 101
- How to eBay 101
- Internet Specialist 101
- Intro to PC Troubleshooting and Repair
- Social Media 101 (Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin)
- Virus Removal and Protection 101
- Microsoft Excel 2007 & 2010
- Microsoft Access 2010
- Microsoft Project 2007
- Microsoft Publisher 2007, 2010, & 2013
- Microsoft Word 2007, 2010, & 2013
- Office 2007 & 2010: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Microsoft Outlook 2007, 2010, & 2013
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2007, 2010, & 2013
- Quickbooks 101
- Quicken Deluxe 2010
- Adobe Photoshop 101
- Photoshop Elements 101
- Adobe Flash 101
- Dreamweaver 101
- How to Create Web Pages